History of St.Marks Cathedral
St. Marks Cathedral was founded in 1808 and was completed in 1812. The Bishop of Calcutta consecrated this Cathedral in 1816. This Cathedral is a beautiful colonial structure having a graceful dome over a semicircular chancel that transports the visitor almost immediately into tranquility.
Roman archers along the walls are one of the most beautiful features of the Cathedral. It has one of the best-maintained external bells and is also amongst the youngest. This cathedral was modeled along the lines of the 17th-century St Pauls Cathedral. The entrance has elaborate woodwork and ornate carvings coupled with majestically done ceilings and domes. The monument was enlarged in 1901 and rebuilt in 1927. The new structure is known for its stained glass work.
The church is named after St.Mark who was believed to have been the first Gospel writer.
The church is a part of the Church of South India (CSI).
St. Mark completed its 200 years and Bicentenary celebrations tool place by launching various programs during the year 2007-2008.
Member Details :click here.